Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Delicious Green Almond Smoothie

Hi all! So sorry I've been MIA. I think maybe there is a total of one or two people following my blog, but I still feel SO BAD for neglecting you! Please forgive me. I've been up to my ear lobes in work/school mode. One more semester to go...

This is my breakfast smoothie recipe.


Green Almond Smoothie:


~5 strawberries chopped (depending on how large they are)
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (I use the Trader Joes brand)
1 Tbl chia seeds
2-3 Tbl raw, unsalted almond butter (I use Trader Joes almond butter--crunchy or creamy works!)
1 handful of spinach
1 handful of kale
1-2 Tbl raw, unrefined coconut oil (I use Trader Joes)
1 tsp Camu powder (if I have it on hand--I get mine from Sprouts, but you can get the brand I buy here too)
Raw, unsalted almond slices on top (if I have it on hand)


Optional:
for added sweetness: 2 tsp honey
sometimes I will add a little bit of unsweetened coconut milk


Directions:
Blend this all together. I use my bullet because I don't have a blender, so this will make one serving. Often, because of the almond butter and coconut oil, the chia seeds will stick to the sides of the blender. I just scrape them off the sides with a spoon. Once blended, there is usually some room at the top, so I will add more spinach if I can.


Strawberries & Camu: Excellent source of vitamin C for skin and immune health. You can read more about the health benefits of Camu powder here.


Almond milk: I've been trying to cut dairy out when I can for fear that it contributes to my acne. You can read more about almond milk here.


Almond butter & raw almonds: Almonds are so good for your overall health and your skin. They are full of beneficial vitamins, minerals and healthy fats. You can read more about the health benefits of raw almonds and almond butter here.


Spinach: Spinach contains phytonutrients, and are chock full of vitamins and trace minerals. Spinach is a great source of iron and is anti-inflammatory. It can help clear skin of blemishes and rid the body of toxins. You can read more about the health benefits of spinach here.


Kale: Kale is known as a nutritional powerhouse. It is really rick in vitamin K which is a powerful antioxidant. Like spinach, it's high in fiber and is anti-inflammatory. It also contains a high amount of calcium. You can read more about the health benefits of kale here.


Coconut oil: Coconut oil contains fatty acids and is said to help maintain healthy cholesterol levels, increase immunity and also beautify hair and skin. There are tons of articles out there right now on the different and varying health benefits of coconut oil--some debatable. Just always try to buy organic, unrefined coconut oil. You can read more about coconut oil here. Always do your own research!


Chia seeds: My favorite. High in fiber, fatty acids, protein and antioxidants. You can read more about chia seeds here.






No comments:

Post a Comment